Thursday 6 September 2012

My Media: TV & Films


Weekday mornings on E4 are the best thing; 8-9: Rules of Engagement, 9-10: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance (Supernanny but the kids are even more messed up), 10-11: Ugly Betty, 11-12: Desperate Housewives. Noon hour is a little mellow; I watch Scrubs if I can’t get of the sofa and even the following half hour of Hollyoaks but it takes quite a lot to reach that stage. 1-2: How I Met Your Mother, 2-3: The Big Bang Theory.


Unfortunately, you start to think you’re getting a whole lot more love from this channel but in fact, they just repeat everything from 3-9.
Friends being cancelled on E4 was a very dark time in my life.

Late evenings are reserved for double bill Family Guy followed by double American Dad! On BBC3, which is always cheerful to fall asleep in front of.

I also have an infuriating habit of seeing adverts for one-off documentaries on channel 4, BBC, ITV etc. and finding them really interesting, all like ‘ah yeah, I’m so gonna watch that’ and I stick a note in my calendar and set a reminder. Never happens.

Mainly I watch American dramas, though I don’t really like any of them… I prefer British Dramas that tend to be a lot more real and gritty, such as Fresh Meat, Skins, This is England.


With film, I generally get into either full-blown fantasy world features eg. Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland or, as a friend of mine disdainfully categorises them, ‘how we live films’. I think what she means is that not much happens in these movies. Anyway, I enjoy them, eg. A Single Man, My Summer of Love. I also like films with a macabre focus, eg. The Addams Family, Let The Right One In.


There are reams of films that I desperately want to see and so many that I know I will love once I actually find the patience to sit down and watch them but this is a rarity and so, as you can see, I waste my life watching TV.

1 comment: